Wednesday, June 2, 2010

There is only one fork

In the shared kitchen at Guerin Hall, when I moved in, there was only ONE fork in the fork section. My guess is that people have taken the other forks to their rooms, forgotten about them and moved them away. Over time this had led to having only one lonely solitary fork.

LUCKILY, I brought some very un-environmental plastic ware with me. For the first month I used that, and the one fork available. I would immediately wash it and put it back in the drawer, in case someone else needed it.

When I heard a new intern was arriving I decided to get crazy, and 'borrowed' a metal fork from the White Violet Center (of course informing all the proper authorities!!). They had a whole bunch of forks!! We had only one. I was worried that with two interns here, there would be some kind of fork war, or territory battle. Best to avoid that from the beginning!

Now I have my 'borrowed' metal fork, which I carry to the kitchen, use, wash, and carry back. This freed up that one fork for the new intern. I warned him of the 'one fork' scenario, but I don't think he understood the full meaning of this situation.

One night, I went into the kitchen for some dinner. There was my new friend, trying to eat his spaghetti with a spoon. He asked if I had seen the fork, because he could not find it. I told him I had not, and reminded him to get one from White Violet. Then I loaned him my plastic fork, since he looked so unhappy trying to eat spaghetti with a spoon. (in a fit of selfish survivalist hoarding I made him wash it and give it back.....I should have donated it to him, I should do that tonight)

So my question: if he does not have the fork, and I do not have the fork.....who has the FORK???!!!!
I know I should have put a tracking device on that thing.

1 comment:

  1. The case of the disappearing fork. Intriguing. Perhaps lapel-pin surveillance cameras are in order.

    ReplyDelete