Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Green Festival: presentations I attended

I got to see a few speakers at the Green Festival. Each one was inspirational and reminded me that there ARE people out in the world striving to change how we, as a country, consume goods and power.


The general feel of the conference was that we are on the edge of revolution which will change the focus of our economy to be more sustainable and less toxic for all.


Folks I saw:


Reverend Lennox Yearwood, Jr.
http://www.greenfestivals.org/speaker-directory/reverend-lennox-yearwood-jr/
Opening speaker. He's a former Office in the Air Force reserves, peace activist, Katrina survivor. He is also the founder of the Hip Hop Caucus, which strives to get inner city kids involved in clean energy and greening their cities. Strong speaker, and pretty darn inspirational.  An excellent way to start the day!


I wonder if I'm too old and pale to join the Hip Hop Caucus? Hmmm. I suspect I am simply not hip enough.


DJ Spooky
http://www.greenfestivals.org/speaker-directory/chicago-2010/2140-spooky/view-details/


You may think he's just a good DJ with some excellent mixing, but he's also concerned with the environment. (WHAT, you mean you don't know of him? oh dear! Luckily I have a link below! Check him out.)


He travelled to Antarctica with a mobile studio to "capture the acoustic qualities of Antarctic ice forms, reflect a changing and even vanishing environment under duress."  He wrote a multi-media symphony. (yes, folks a SYMPHONY) Pretty deep stuff, combining politics, policy and art. Cool.
http://www.djspooky.com/art/terra_nova.php


My favorite part of his talk was at the end, when Sister Maureen (Moe) came in for the next presentation and sat down next to me. DJ Spooky was still talking, and when he finished Moe said to me "Oh, well he's not what I expected at all! I wish I'd seen the rest of that". 
You GO DJ Spooky, bust down those stereotypes! 


Dr. Kevin Danaher


Author, educator, and one of the founders of the Green Festivals. This talk was focused on finding employment in the new Green Economy. It was more inspirational and useful than I thought it would be. 


My favorite quotes:
"To save the ECO-system we need to transcend the EGO-system"
" Life values need to rule over money values"


No comments:

Post a Comment