Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Days 28-30: Green Festival in Chicago (no alpaca spit there....)

Last weekend I got to go with 3 other people to staff the White Violet Center booth at the Green Festival in Chicago. I was fairly excited, because I've not been to Chicago in a number of years. Even though I had no money, just being in a big city excites me.  I love the energy of a city; all those people doing all those different things!

The drive up to Chicago is about 4-5 hours, but we lost an hour (sort of) since we switched time zones from Eastern to Central.  The most exciting thing about the drive up was passing through a wind farm in one of the towns. Which town? I have no idea. Crawfordsville? Danville? Not sure, but it was really cool, especially since we were headed to the GREEN FESTIVAL, with all those alternative energy people trying to save the world from ourselves.

We all stayed at Jenny's fiance's condo, which made a huge difference in the bill, and was very lovely. Since the Center covered my meals while I was there, I spent less than $20. Luckily, I've really killed the 'shopping bug' in me the past several years. I feel no real need to acquire more junk. It's just more stuff I would be responsible for housing and keeping clean. I already have stuff scattered across the country.....no need for more. :)

The festival was Saturday and Sunday, and we worked in two hour shifts so nobody got worn out and we all got to see some speakers or presentations or films.

Against my better judgement, I share with you here the first time I wore a PURPLE shirt, and a fanny pack. For real. Firsts on both. My sister will be so happy about the purple. It's the White Violet Center shirt. I look official, or something.

 
I look at this and can only see how much weight I need to lose....but there ya go. Purple & fanny pack. The world's coming to an end, this is a sure sign of the apocalypse.

These are two of my companions, Jenny and Cheryl. Jenny (sweater) is in the Provident Volunteer Ministry, and Cheryl is the Marketing guru. I did not get a picture of the Director, Sister Maureen. Oops. I am a bad photojournalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment