Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 37-40: honey, strawberries and sour cherries



Did I mention they have a bee hive here? They just got a new queen. It seems that made the bees very happy and productive.

This past week, our garden lady came in with a bowl full of warm honeycomb she had just pulled from the beehive! Oh MAN, that was the best ever. I love honeycomb, but I've never had it that fresh. It was really warm, and so flavorful. Yum.

Also this week I got to help pick strawberries on Friday, for them to sell at the Farmer's Market. I really do miss having a garden. It's been so wet here, many berries were getting moldy. The col part is that the berries that weren't quite good enough to sell, we got to take home! I came home with two little green baskets, which I cleaned, sliced and ate for dinner. It's been so hot here, it was absolutely refreshing to have chilled berries for dinner! 

And there is a sour cherry tree on my walk home that is filled with fruit!!  JOY!!

We had a sour cherry tree in our yard when I was a kid, and I spent many hours picking and pitting cherries.  Somewhere along the way I developed a taste for those sour cherries, and I have been very very happy to stop at this here tree to and from work every day. Since I'm in a group kitchen I don't have the means to freeze a whole lot of cherries. I did, however, fill up my travel much on the walk back today. I guess I should rinse them off, I don't think sour cherries with a coffee coating will taste good. 

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I have a similar memory of eating berries off of the neighbor's mulberry tree when I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete