Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 16 of alpacas: more shearing and skirting, still not spit on

Really, Wednesday was a repeat of Tuesday, except it was 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Thank goodness that person did not decide to laundry at 5:15 a.m.  Sadly, though, that is the time my brain chose to wake me up. ::sigh::

Day two of alpaca shearing time:
Lots of walking alpacas back and forth from the pastures to the barn. Lots of worried, 'humming' alpacas. Lots of dirt, hay and flying alpaca fiber. Lots of standing around waiting for alpacas to be ready to attach to lead and move. Very tired.

In case you ever need to know: alpacas are VERY group oriented. They get very distressed when they are separated from the herd, and freak out. Lots of anguished humming, and crying, and frantic looking about. Always try to move them in groups to avoid alpaca freak outs.

I did sit for a while with one of the Sisters up in the hay loft and explain to her what they were doing. I've learned enough to explain it and answer basic question. I seriously have no clue what I will do with this new skill but it still beats surfing job boards and temping, in terms of my happiness/depression level.

Explaining alpaca husbandry to onlookers: yet another step in my global domination plan is complete!!
Best to finish here first, though.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I am learning so much about alpacas just by reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn,
    I love your blog. Very interesting stuff. I hope you are enjoying your internship and wish you the best. I will check back for more exciting Alpaca news:)

    Sharon Moran

    ReplyDelete