Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 13 with alpacas: no spit yet, rode on a tractor, my bosses

I convinced Sister Paul Bernadette (PB) and Chad to let me take their picture. Here they are! They are both very nice and patient with my slowness. This is in the 'alpaca office', where we start our days.


Friday was a fairly quiet day, and it was just myself, Chad and Jerry (volunteer) on the morning chores. PB and another person took some animals down to another owner for breeding. I think it was a 3 hour drive each way. Ack! 

Since we finished early, Moe (the director) asked Chad to move some hay wagons from a field to across 150 (state road). There's only one seat on the tractor, so I got to ride on the back part, balanced on the hitch bar, holding on to the side/upper bar. I am QUITE happy to report I did not fall off once! 

The first hay wagon didn't have anything on it, so I sat on the front edge as Chad drove across the property over to the 'biomass converters'. The second wagon was full of tree limbs. BIG tree limbs. Chad had me stand up at the back of the bed, holding on to the back slats. We only had one slight mishap, in the orchard, where the limbs on the bed of the wagon got caught in the limbs of an apply tree and I got caught in the thwacking. Nothing bad, though. I am unscathed. Mostly I felt not very useful, more like a little kid tagging along. But I completely enjoyed riding on the back of the tractor, AND on the hay wagon. It was like a private tour of the property. :)

No spit yet, but shearing is this week. There are 60 animals. There will be spit.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Love the brevity of your humor: "There are 60 animals. There will be spit."
    Seems like that could be on a T-shirt somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience riding on the back of a trailer following a 4-wheeler.... I was holding on to a big metal frame with legs so that it would stay put, and it ended up getting caught as we went under a basketball hoop. I just kind of held on while it turned and twisted off the trailer like one of those human gyroscope things.

    ReplyDelete