Friday, May 14, 2010

Alpacas and compost: poop is good

Every morning, one of the first things we do is clean out the barns. That means much raking of poo. This is all fine when it's dry outside, but it's a bit more difficult in the rain. There's nothing like a shovel full of wet muddy alpaca poo to help me build my arm strength!

Here is some of the morning 'help'. These ladies  seem to be in charge of the Kubota, yes?
(I think two are ladies, one is a younger one, could be a male, I can't keep them all straight yet)

They look very official, as good supervisors should.




The funny thing is, we do this EVERY morning. And EVERY morning they have to come check out the Kubota, and the back, in case there's something new in there. Or food. Maybe there will be food....

Sometimes they eat the old hay we've put down to line the bed for poo procurement. They get annoyed when you shoo them away from the Kubota, unless they are already bored and wander away on their own.

They are very helpful, like a room full 3 year olds.




After much raking and carrying of full shovels, we have a full load!!



This is taken to the Compost Pile. It is very big. And smelly. It's compost.
When the compost is ready, it will be used on the fields, to grow the food, which we eat. 

I like food, so Yeah compost!!  Oh, and YEAH WORMS!! (I like worms, too)



Here is someplace to learn more about alpaca compost. It does not 'burn' like other animals' manure, but it's so dense it has to be mixed with other things (like all that hay). There is a lovely picture of alpaca poo, in case you're interested. This means I don't have to take close up pictures of the alpaca poo for you all, right? 

http://www.o2compost.com/content/Alpaca_Facts.htm

4 comments:

  1. Do those poo compost piles steam? Inquiring minds want to know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious! I think you should be writing a book about your life--you are so funny! I am so glad you have this Journal so we can keep up with you! I bet you are firming up all your muscles! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete