Wednesday, April 14, 2010

First day as an 'alpaca intern'

Today I learned that the White Violet Center was named thusly because the founder of Saint-Mary-of-the-Woods liked the white violet for its resilience (among other things). The flower symbolism pages say it represents 'taking chances, and happiness'. I had no idea. Odd for me, I think, since I have heard more people call me resilient these past two years than ever before. I am also taking a huge chance in walking away from the job hunt for a bit, and hanging up my frustrations with temping.

So after two years of living in other people's space (and THANK GOODNESS they let me!!), I have an actual room of my own. I never thought I would be so happy to have a dresser, and a closet. It is odd, because it's a dorm situation, but it's not traumatic like Freshman year. It's more of a relief. The guilt of asking people to let me live with them was quite heavy. I mean, this is AMERICA, right? Aren't we all supposed to make our way on our own? Find a job, get a place, settle down? We need to rethink that. We are moving into a new era, and I don't think people can make it on their own anymore. I am so grateful to the friends who have helped me out the past two years. I would be lost without my friends.

The day today consisted of 7:30 awakening time, packing Garland's car, running a bunch of pre-move errands, 1 hour 20 minute drive here, unpacking the car, hugging Garland farewell, tour of facilities, picture taking (for a badge), drug test, more orientation, meeting people, unpacking stuff in the room and now....::whew::....after this attempt at a blog: doing my taxes.

I am tired, but happy. Tomorrow I will add pictures of the room and the grounds. Oh, and get a TB test, required by the Center. Wonder what will happen if I have it?

I report for wonderful outdoor farm work at 8:00. Sunscreen, Wellingtons and organic bug deterrent are ready to go!

6 comments:

  1. I knew you would be as happy to have your own room as I am to have my back. Love you friend. I would live with you any day but we definately must have 2 bedroom and 2 baths..ha ha can't wait to hear about more of your journey..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are settling in. Relax and unwind. And don't let them spit in your eye! We love you! -Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I'm so glad to hear you arrived safely and like your surroundings. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relax and enjoy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to hearing about your many adventures.

    ReplyDelete